Vegan Gluten Free Gnocchi with Smoky Cheese Sauce is Creamy and Delicious! It’s simple to make in less than a half-hour. Cheesy, yummy comfort food! This is so easy to make and doesn’t take very long at all.
This Gluten Free Vegan Gnocchi is Creamy Comfort Food!
Gluten-Free Vegan Gnocchi
I found some gluten-free and vegan gnocchi at the store recently and hadn’t realized it was even a thing that came that way. Pessimistically, I’d assumed all gnocchi was either made with regular flour or wasn’t vegan. And then there it was … ::: cue the celestial choir ::: … boxes of puffy clouds of vegan and gluten-free potato goodness.
That’s the brand I found at my local grocery that met all my requirements. You may have to order online or use another brand. These are shelf-stable, which is great. The hubby was with me and shared in my totally disproportionate excitement. The price wasn’t too bad, either. Gluten-free products can cost way more than regular products but this seemed about the same.
Plant-Based Cheese Sauce for Cheesy Vegan Gnocchi
So what to put on the gluten-free gnocchi? The possibilities are pretty much endless, but I decided to go with the comfort-food edition and make a vegan cheese sauce. Cheese sauces are super easy to make from plant-based ingredients. One of my favorites is Almost Instant Gean Cheese Sauce. This Easy Vegan Cheese Sauce is great on tortilla chips, however, you can even make a Vegan Cheese Sauce Powder that just requires the addition of plant-based milk and is great in mac and cheese. But the sauce for this is even simpler and I’ve made it just a little bit on the smoky flavored side … because, hello, it’s delicious.
The cheese sauce is super simple to make from unexpected yet simple ingredients and it will knock your socks off when you taste it. It’s thick, creamy, and gooey, and smoked paprika adds a tasty dash of smokiness. The cheese sauce uses starches like carrots and potatoes to make the bulk of the sauce. Stretchiness comes from tapioca flour. Lemon juice (and some optional lactic acid) adds a bit of tang, and, of course, nutritional yeast makes it cheesy. So easy!
- 1/4 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup potato flakes
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened plant-based milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon lactic acid powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 12 oz vegan gluten-free gnocchi
1. Cook the gnocchi according to package directions and set them aside.
2. Place all the ingredients, except for the gnocchi, into a high-speed blender. Puree until very smooth. Add more unsweetened plant-based milk as needed.
3. Pour the cheese sauce into a medium-large heavy-bottomed saucepan and heat, stirring constantly, until bubbling. Reduce heat and simmer gently, stirring constantly, for about 2 minutes.
4. Add the cooked gnocchi to the cheese sauce and stir and heat through.
5. Garnish with a sprinkle of smoked paprika and some crushed red pepper flakes.
Makes an excellent side dish! Omit the lactic acid if unavailable. Adjust the salt and crushed red pepper flakes to taste.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Vitamix E310 Explorian Blender, Professional-Grade, 48 oz. Container, Black
KitchenAid KCC720PSST Professional Stainless Steel 3-Quart 8" Saucepan with Lid 7-Ply
Anthony's Premium Nutritional Yeast Flakes, 10 oz, Non Fortified, Batch Tested Gluten Free, Non GMO
So Delicious Coconut Milk Beverage - Unsweetened - Case of 12 - 32 Fl oz.
Mezzoni Foods Lactic Acid Food Grade 10 Ounce – Natural Preservative, pH Reducer, Vegan Cheese Powder and Flavoring Agent – Vegan, Gluten-Free, Non-GMO and Kosher
Delallo Gluten Free Potato and Rice Gnocchi, 12 Ounce -- 6 per case.
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 355
Hello! I’m Lisa, a vegan artist, photographer, author, Vegan Life Coach Educator, and RYT 200 yoga teacher. I love showing others how simple and delicious a plant-based diet can be. I draw and paint, cook, write, take lots of pics, eat lots of chocolate, and practice gratitude daily.