Vegan Dark Chocolate Zucchini Full Moon Cake is also gluten-free. It’s moist, chocolatey, and delicious. This can be decorated simply or not at all. A simple moon design is made with a dusting of powdered sugar on the top with a sprinkle of edible stars all around.
Vegan Dark Chocolate Zucchini Cake with a Full Moon!
I’ve always noted the moon phases. The full moon is my favorite. I’m a Cancer, born during a full moon and eclipse so the moon is definitely my celestial body. I always try to note at least the full moon and doing so with some sweet treats is always nice. Like with these Lavender Orange Moon Cookies.
You can find the current moon phase on this website.
Vegan Dark Chocolate Zucchini Full Moon Cake is Simple to Make
This cake is super simple to make. I’ve added some shredded zucchini because I had it and it makes the cake moist and also adds in some hidden veggies!
I added some blue food coloring. I wanted something other than the color of just dark chocolate and more of a night sky background color. That said, the warm brown of dark chocolate would have been just as nice.
The batter looks a little green with the blue added because of the yellow tones of the brown chocolate. The final color after baking ended up being a very dark, cool brown. The shredded zucchini will bake and become undetectable in the final result.
I used store-bought, vegan, dark chocolate frosting and added some blue food coloring to it as well as a touch of black. Again, it looks a little green here when I was putting it together but then it wasn’t actually green when I was done. I purposely left the frosting a little streaky. YMMV on the coloring part. Leave out food coloring if you’re uncomfortable with uncertainty! And add just black if you’d like darker chocolate color with no risk of it having any hint of green.
A full moon design is super simple and is done by sifting just a light dusting of powdered sugar through a cutout circle stencil.
I sprinkled on some edible silver stars, as well.
Yummy, moist, and delicious.
- 1/4 cup Just Egg liquid OR 1 tablespoon finely ground flax and 1/4 cup applesauce
- 3/4 cup oil
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- a few drop blue and black food color, if desired
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose gluten free flour (I used Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Baking Mix)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Duncan Hines Creamy Dark Chocolate Frosting
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease and flour 3 six-inch or 2 eight-inch cake pans.
- Cream together the wet ingredients.
- Sift together the dry ingredients and then mix them into the wet ingredients. Beat the mixture with a hand or stand mixture or by hand with a wooden spoon for about a minute, until everything is mixed and evenly distributed.
- Divide evenly between the cake pans.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for about 35 to 40 minutes, until the center has firmed.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
- Stir in a bit of blue and black food color into store-bought frosting. Then frost the cake layers and then the top and sides.
- If you'd like a powdered full moon on the top, cut an appropriately sized circle in a piece of paper. A 6-inch cake would use an approximately 4" circle and an 8-inch cake approximately 6 inches.
- Place the stencil on the top of the frosted cake and sift a light covering of powdered sugar onto the cake. Gently lift the stencil when done.
Hello! I’m Lisa, a vegan artist, photographer, author, Vegan Life Coach Educator, and RYT 200 yoga teacher. I love showing others how simple and delicious a plant-based diet can be. I draw and paint, cook, write, take lots of pics, eat lots of chocolate, and practice gratitude daily.