Vegan tacos fries are so easy and simple to make I wasn’t sure if I should even call it a recipe. But it’s spicy, cheesy, and tasty. This is plant-based comfort food, for sure.
Easy Vegan Taco Fries is a Simple Plant-Based Snack
All this takes is a bit of TVP and spices, along with a bit of cheese. I used two cheeses here … Daiya shreds straight outta-da-bag but also a batch of this Almost Instant Vegan Cheese Sauce (No Nuts!) That’s a cheese recipe that’s super quick and easy to make and great to have on hand. It’s great over nachos and can be made a day ahead of time … just thin it with water or plant-based milk if needed.
For the fries. I just used frozen ones and baked them until they were browned. Then added all the toppings.
The vegan taco meat is rehydrated TVP and taco seasoning. You may have a favorite taco seasoning, but to make your own just mix together a few common ingredients and you have a homemade version. Of course, adjust the seasonings to your own personal taste. “It’s a tasty thing! You gotta taste it and adjust!”
If you want to take the taco salad option, just put all this over chopped lettuce instead of fries! I added some tortilla chips here but it’s also good without.
Easy Vegan Taco Fries Plant Based Recipe
These easy vegan taco fries use common ingredients and can be made quickly, too! Delicious as a snack or light lunch.
- 3 cups frozen or fresh French fries
- 1 cup Almost Instant Vegan Cheese Sauce (see link above)
- 1 cup boing water
- 1 cup dry TVP
- 2 tablespoons oil (for cooking, can omit and use water)
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/ to 1 teaspoon salt
- Daiya cheese
- lettuce, tomato, onions, olives
- Bake or fry your French fries in whatever way you like them.
- While they're baking, bring the water to a boil and pour over the TVP. Let sit for about 5 minutes until fully rehydrated. Fluff with a fork.
- In a heavy-bottomed saute pan, add the oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add all the spices and let heat up for just a minute or so. Stir the rehydrated TVP into the spices until evenly incorporated.
- Put the fries on a plate and top with a generous helping of taco meat. Then add some Almost Instant Cheese Sauce (link above), a handful of Daiya cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion. olives, etc.
- Some taco sauce on the top makes this a perfect treat!
Serving Size:2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 315
Hello! I’m Lisa, a vegan artist, photographer, author, Vegan Life Coach Educator, and RYT 200 yoga teacher. I love showing others how simple and delicious a plant-based diet can be. I draw and paint, cook, write, take lots of pics, eat lots of chocolate, and practice gratitude daily.