Fat-Free Sweet and Spicy Mango Dressing
This is a longtime favorite salad that, of course, had to go in Easy Affordable Raw. Sunflower sprouts add a fresh crunch, and the avocados and mushrooms add substance to this
hearty salad that is perfect for either lunch or dinner.
For the Salad
- 1 head Romaine lettuce, torn into pieces
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 cup (70 g) sliced mushrooms
- 1½ cups (265 g) mango chunks
- 3 scallions, sliced
- ½ cup (50 g) walnuts
- 1 cup (45 g) sunflower sprouts
- (See how-to on page 40.)
For the Dressing
- 1 cup (175 g) chopped mango
- ½ cup (35 g) sun-dried tomatoes, soaked in
- water for 30 minutes (See how-to on page 44.)
- 6 dates, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) agave
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup (235 ml) water
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon (10 g) minced onion
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
To make the salad: Assemble the salad by making a bed of Romaine two salad plates and arranging the remaining salad ingredients on top.
To make the dressing: Place all the dressing ingredients in a blender and puree until very smooth. Drizzle over the salad when ready to serve.
Leftover dressing can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to a few days.
YIELD: 2 LARGE SALADS AND ABOUT 2½ CUPS (590 ML) DRESSING
Hello! I’m Lisa, a vegan artist, photographer, author, Vegan Life Coach Educator, and RYT 200 yoga teacher. I love showing others how simple and delicious a plant-based diet can be. I draw and paint, cook, write, take lots of pics, eat lots of chocolate, and practice gratitude daily.