Easy Vegan Taco Fries Plant Based Recipe
Vegan tacos fries are so easy and simple to make I wasn’t sure if I should even call it a recipe. But it’s spicy, cheesy, and tasty. This is plant-based comfort food, for sure.
Easy Vegan Taco Fries is a Simple Plant-Based Snack
All this takes is a bit of TVP and spices, along with a bit of cheese. I used two cheeses here … Daiya shreds straight outta-da-bag but also a batch of this Almost Instant Vegan Cheese Sauce (No Nuts!) That’s a cheese recipe that’s super quick and easy to make and great to have on hand. It’s great over nachos and can be made a day ahead of time … just thin it with water or plant-based milk if needed.
For the fries. I just used frozen ones and baked them until they were browned. Then added all the toppings.
The vegan taco meat is rehydrated TVP and taco seasoning. You may have a favorite taco seasoning, but to make your own just mix together a few common ingredients and you have a homemade version. Of course, adjust the seasonings to your own personal taste. “It’s a tasty thing! You gotta taste it and adjust!”
If you want to take the taco salad option, just put all this over chopped lettuce instead of fries! I added some tortilla chips here but it’s also good without.
- 3 cups frozen or fresh French fries
- 1 cup Almost Instant Vegan Cheese Sauce (see link above)
- 1 cup boing water
- 1 cup dry TVP
- 2 tablespoons oil (for cooking, can omit and use water)
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/ to 1 teaspoon salt
- Daiya cheese
- lettuce, tomato, onions, olives
- Bake or fry your French fries in whatever way you like them.
- While they're baking, bring the water to a boil and pour over the TVP. Let sit for about 5 minutes until fully rehydrated. Fluff with a fork.
- In a heavy-bottomed saute pan, add the oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add all the spices and let heat up for just a minute or so. Stir the rehydrated TVP into the spices until evenly incorporated.
- Put the fries on a plate and top with a generous helping of taco meat. Then add some Almost Instant Cheese Sauce (link above), a handful of Daiya cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion. olives, etc.
- Some taco sauce on the top makes this a perfect treat!
Serving Size:2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 315