Can You Microwave Just Egg? Yes! Here’s How!
Can you microwave Just Egg? Yes, you can microwave Just Egg. Here’s how you do it! It takes just a few minutes, the cleanup is easy, and you can customize it with whatever extra or specialty ingredients you like.
Can you microwave Just Egg?
Microwaving Just Egg is a simple and easy process. The results are a fluffy, tasty scrambled vegan egg!
What is Just Egg?
So let’s take a look at Just Egg. The plant-based egg product is the brainchild of Just Foods founder, Josh Tetrick. He started his company, by producing one of the first of the newer vegan mayos, Just Mayo. It was delicious and what I think was the best vegan mayo. For some reason, Just stopped making the mayo and so now the company focuses on their Just Egg products and offers a few different varieties. Like these.
If you want to make your own reasonable facsimile of Just Egg at home using your own ingredients, check out this post here, How to Make Your Own Just Egg.
Just Egg is Made from Mung Beans
Just Egg is Tetrick’s initial egg product offering, made from mung beans, of all things.
Mung beans are pretty interesting … they’re proteiny and the additional soy, oil, and emulsifiers in Just Egg hold it all together in a way that’s remarkably close to a “real” egg. These are dried mung beans below and they’re actually good for all sorts of plant-based dishes.
Just Egg in the Microwave
Just Egg mixture is pretty tasty cooked on the stove but is even easier in the microwave.
Have you ever made a mug cake? Well, it’s like that. You just pour the Just Egg into a mug and microwave in 30-second increments until it’s cooked. It took me about a minute but microwaves vary in strength but it’s easy to adjust the cooking time to your own appliance.
Additions depend on what you like. I added some bean salsa and onions to this one along with some cilantro and vegan cheese shreds.
Vegan Bac-o-bits and chives with a bit of cheese are also super delicious in these.
Additions like onions and mushrooms can be microwaved for a minute before adding the Just Egg if you like those items more well cooked.
And that’s it, really. It’s that simple. Here’s a more formal recipe outline if you’d like to use it, otherwise just have fun!
- 1 teaspoon vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped dried or fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons bean or tomato salsa
- 2 ounces Just Egg
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegan cheese shreds
- crushed red pepper flakes
- hot sauce
- In a large mug, place the vegan butter, onions, cilantro, and salsa and microwave on high in 30-second increments until tender.
- Shake or stir the Just Egg mixture well and pour into the mug with the other ingredients and stir to combine.
- Microwave on high again in 30-second increments until the Just Egg is set and firm.
- Add some cheese shreds on top and microwave an additional 20 seconds to melt.
- Serve with black pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, more fresh cilantro, and/or bottled chili or chili lime sauce.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amazon Basics Stainless Steel Wire Whisk Set, Gray - 3-Piece
KOOV Latte Cup and Saucer Set of 6, 10 oz Porcelain Cappuccino Cups (Rainbow)
Amuse- Professional Barista Cozy Cappuccino Mug- Set of 6- 10 oz.
JUST Egg made from plants, 12 Fl Oz
Just, Egg Patty Plant Based, 8 Ounce
JUST Egg Sous Vide, America, 4 Plant-based Egg Bites
Serving Size:1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 145