Crispy Crusted Baked Tofu Vegan Recipe
Crispy Crusted Baked Tofu takes only about 35 minutes to make. It’s great for sandwiches or chopped up into salads for a tasty protein boost. Packaged tofu is the perfect consistency to add a little breading to for baking.
This is perfect when we don’t have a lot of time to make something more elaborate … which, lately, is all the time. We’re so busy right now and everyone else seems to be the same!
Simple and Easy-to-Find Ingredients!
So tasty and so simple. To make this, I used extra-firm regular tofu (not silken) and cut it into 1/4 inch slices. Most groceries carry this type of tofu now so it’s pretty easy to locate. My grocery puts it in the produce department.
Crispy Crusted Baked Tofu 4-Step Coating is EASY!
A four-step coating process sounds difficult, but it’s not. I dredge each tofu slice in plant-based milk, then into a gluten-free all-purpose flour mix, one more dredge in the plant-based milk, and then into the crusty crumbs. It only takes a few seconds. Here it is. Milk, flour, milk, crumbs … easy.
Spices on the Crispy Crust Make This Tofu Delicious
This makes a nice, crispy crust on the tofu. I also add some seasoning and spices for more flavor. Then just place on a parchment-covered baking sheet and bake at 425 degrees F for about 20 minutes, or until the tofu starts to brown.
This is so delicious on a sandwich with some sliced dills and vegan cheese shreds. It would also be great just with some lettuce, tomato, and a plant-based mayo or some avocado.
I like mine chopped up into a salad. I love it this way.
A Note About Vegan Corn Flakes
It’s up in the air whether Kellog’s Corn Flakes sold in the US are vegan or not. I’ve seen sources that say it is vegan and others say it isn’t because of animal-derived vitamin D3. In the recipe and here, I’ve linked to a vegan corn flakes cereal. Barbara’s Organic Corn Flakes don’t contain vitamin D from animals. They’re a little pricey, but taste really great.
- 12 oz extra-firm tofu (not silken)
- 1/3 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup plant-based milk
- 1/2 cup corn flake crumbs, finely crushed
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon cilantro flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/ teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- Drain the tofu. Press if you have a tofu press or in between two plates if you prefer your tofu that way.
- Slice into 1/4 inch slices and pat dry.
- Put the milk, flour, and corn flakes in separate bowls. To crush your flakes, just place them in a zip-lock bag and smash with a heavy glass or rolling pin.
- Add all the seasoning and spices to the crushed corn flakes and stir to evenly combine.
- Dredge the tofu slices in the plant-based milk.
- Then, dredge in the gluten-free all-purpose flour, covering the tofu pieces evenly with a light coating of flour.
- Dredge again in the milk and then in the crushed corn flakes. Make sure the crushed cornflake mixture adheres evenly. You can make this coating thick or thinner, depending on your preferences.
- Place all the coated tofu slices on a parchment-covered baking sheet and bak at 425 degrees F for about 25 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Qiaogell Baking Sheets With Wire Racks set(2 Sheets+2 Racks), 304(18/8) Food-grade Stainless Steel Cookies Sheet, Nonstick Baking Pans Tray, Thick, Heavy Duty and Easy Clean
Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece Set, Nesting, Microwave and Dishwasher Safe)
Tofuture's Tofu Press - the original and the best Tofu Press for transforming your tofu
Barbara's Bakery Organic Corn Flakes Cereal, 9 oz
Naturevibe Botanicals Organic Crushed Red Pepper, 1lbs - Non GMO and Gluten Free | Adds Taste and Flavor [Packaging may Vary]…
Cilantro Leaves 1 Pound-Heat Sealed for Freshness Imported
Serving Size:.25 recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 450