Easy Vegan Portobello Bacon with Smoky Maple
Easy Vegan Portobello Bacon with Smoky Maple is delicious, smoky, sweet, and super easy to make. The marinade can last overnight or just a few minutes. Either way, it’s tasty delicious.
Vegan Portobello Mushroom Bacon Can Be Made in Minutes!
It takes just a few minutes to take this vegan portobello bacon from marinade to finished. It can be used at breakfast and goes spectacularly with tofu scrambles and would be great paired with the Breakfast Tortilla Cups with Tofu Scramble I made recently.
Start with Portobello Mushrooms
Start with about a pound of portobello mushrooms.
I got the biggest portobellos I could find and sliced them about 1/8″ to 1/4″ thick. Then I let them sit in a marinade of soy sauce, maple syrup, and smoked paprika for a few minutes and sauteed them in a lightly greased pan. They were so good.
It’s almost too easy! Use the bacon on sandwiches, with breakfast scrambles, pancakes. or crepes. This can even be tossed into a salad for some added flavor and protein!
- 1 lb portobello mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika (or more or less to taste)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (can use low sodium)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- cracked black pepper
- oil for sauteing
- Slice cleaned portobello mushrooms 1/8" to 1/4" thick.
- In a large bowl, mix up the marinade using the rest of the ingredients except for the oil. Place the mushrooms in the marinade and toss to coat.
- Use the oil to gently saute the vegan portobello bacon strips for about 6 minutes, until starting to brown and crisp on the edges.
- Add additional salt and freshly cracked black pepper when finished, if desired.
- Use the bacon on sandwiches, with breakfast scrambles, pancakes. or crepes. This can even be tossed into a salad for some added flavor and protein!