Chess Pie ~ Raw Food Dessert Recipe!

Serves 8 ~ $1.73 per serving

crust
  • 1 cup almonds
    ($2.50)
  • 1 cup dates ($2.00)
  • pinch salt

filling

• 2 cups almonds,
    soaked and blanched ($5.00)
  • 1/4 cup water, or
    more for blending as needed
  • 1 cup dates, soaked
    ($2.00)
  •  4 tablespoons agave
    ($.80)
  • 1/2 cup cacao powder
    ($1.60)
  • pinch salt

Chess Pie is a southern tradition(and is the famous chocolate pie served at the end of the movie, The Help!). This is one of my favorite pie recipes and is from my Spring Raw eBook (available over there to the left) and I’ll definitely be making it for the holidays.

In a food processor fitted with an “S” blade, process the almonds until they are coarsely
ground. Add in the dates and salt and process until the mixture become sticky.
It will be very crumbly, but will also stick to itself when squeezed. Spread the mix in the
bottom and up the sides of an eight inch pie plate.

Again,
in a food processor fitted with an “S” blade, process the almonds with a little
water until very smooth. Add the dates, and continue processing until smooth
and creamy. Add in the agave, cacao powder and process until everything is
smooth and incorporated.

Pour
the filling into the crust and smooth the top. Store, covered, in the freezer
until a half hour before you’re ready to serve.
Nutritional
information:      calories: 345      fat: 19 gr      carb: 39 gr      protein: 3 gr
For easy access to
individual treats, any raw pie in this book can be frozen and then sliced into
individual pieces. Wrap the pieces in saran wrap and freeze until ready to
enjoy. They will last for up to three weeks in the freezer.

Lisa Viger Gotte

Hello! I'm Lisa, an artist, photographer, author, gardener, navel-gazer, and lover of the planet and all its inhabitants. I draw and paint, cook, write, take lots of pics, eat lots of chocolate, and practice gratitude daily.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of
guest
25 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Anonymous
Anonymous
8 years ago

Lisa, Thanks for posting this. I'm curious about soaking on the almonds. Should they be soaked for a specific length of time? Also, should they be soaked before or after the skins have been removed? Much thanks, in advance, for your response.

Sara
8 years ago

I made this last night and am eating it now as my afternoon snack. I'm pregnant and have been craving chocolate like crazy, but trying to cut back on sugar at the same time. This is perfect and SO delicious! Thank you!

Anonymous
Anonymous
8 years ago

This looks so good, is this a dessert or a meal?
345calories for 1/8 of the pie, correct?
Why is agave added, when the dates are sweet, already?
Trying to figure this all out?
If eating raw, how many calories a day?
how many carbohydrate grams a day?
how many protein grams a day?
how many fat grams a day?
Can a type two diabetic eat raw and stay in normal range and be full?
Thanks You

Anonymous
Anonymous
Reply to  Anonymous

please notify me at geminisue44057@yahoo.com, so I know what the answer is, thanks

Mr. W.
Mr. W.
8 years ago

The crust-mix doesn't become sticky, it stays dry and crumbly after processing it with an S-blade. What might be the problem?

Emily von Euw
8 years ago

love this blog. can't believe i haven't found it before tonight.

Heather Pace
8 years ago

This looks so good Lisa! I find that blended almonds give almost a fluffy texture … do you notice that in this pie?

Karen Schlesinger
8 years ago

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! My husband is from Louisville, KY and LOVES Chess Pie! He will be so delighted to have this!

GG
GG
8 years ago

This looks amazing! But I don't particularly like dates. Could you recommend any substitutions?

Heather Pace
Reply to  GG

You can use raisins! 🙂

Ethan Haber
8 years ago

Enjoying the best flavors is what everyone wants and if that flavor comes by the self-made dish then the joy of having it increases like anything. Very delicious recipe shared. Lets have some more.

Delicious Desert Recipes

Anne

Sounds really good!

I'm a total novice regarding raw food – does "soaked" mean to leave them in water for a time (and in that case – how long?) or something else? 🙂

Unknown
Reply to  Anne

Dried dates can be very hard- pour hot not boiling water iver them for about a half hour, drain water (or keep as a natural liquid sweetener for oatmeal!) and the dates will be softer and more plump so they blend more easily!
Hope this helps you!
Ttrockwood@yahoo.com

Marissa Nieves
8 years ago

Liquid Stevia or Date Juice (remaining water from soaked dates).

Anonymous
Anonymous
8 years ago

What is a good substitute for the agave nectar? My partner is allergic.

Colette Jo
8 years ago

Awesome! Will def give this a try! But I'm confused. Your directions mentioned both a spring form pan and a pie plate. Which one should be used? I don't have a spring form pan so fingers crossed that a pie plate might work??

Colette Jo
Reply to  Colette Jo

Yipee! That's good news for me…

By the way, love your blog. Just love it! So thankful that you share with us!!

Parad0x

This. Looks. GLORIOUS!

God bless my local bulk store, 4$ for a kilo of date and 10$ for 1.35 kg of almonds, because I get a feeling I'll be making this often!

coconutandberries
8 years ago

I love that movie. This pie looks super decadent and delicious. Glad to see there's no "secret ingredient" in it either!

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x