Chess Pie ~ Raw Food Dessert Recipe!

Serves 8 ~ $1.73 per serving

crust
  • 1 cup almonds
    ($2.50)
  • 1 cup dates ($2.00)
  • pinch salt

filling

• 2 cups almonds,
    soaked and blanched ($5.00)
  • 1/4 cup water, or
    more for blending as needed
  • 1 cup dates, soaked
    ($2.00)
  •  4 tablespoons agave
    ($.80)
  • 1/2 cup cacao powder
    ($1.60)
  • pinch salt

Chess Pie is a southern tradition(and is the famous chocolate pie served at the end of the movie, The Help!). This is one of my favorite pie recipes and is from my Spring Raw eBook (available over there to the left) and I’ll definitely be making it for the holidays.

In a food processor fitted with an “S” blade, process the almonds until they are coarsely
ground. Add in the dates and salt and process until the mixture become sticky.
It will be very crumbly, but will also stick to itself when squeezed. Spread the mix in the
bottom and up the sides of an eight inch pie plate.

Again,
in a food processor fitted with an “S” blade, process the almonds with a little
water until very smooth. Add the dates, and continue processing until smooth
and creamy. Add in the agave, cacao powder and process until everything is
smooth and incorporated.

Pour
the filling into the crust and smooth the top. Store, covered, in the freezer
until a half hour before you’re ready to serve.
Nutritional
information:      calories: 345      fat: 19 gr      carb: 39 gr      protein: 3 gr
For easy access to
individual treats, any raw pie in this book can be frozen and then sliced into
individual pieces. Wrap the pieces in saran wrap and freeze until ready to
enjoy. They will last for up to three weeks in the freezer.

You may also like...

25 Responses

1. Anonymous says:

Lisa, Thanks for posting this. I'm curious about soaking on the almonds. Should they be soaked for a specific length of time? Also, should they be soaked before or after the skins have been removed? Much thanks, in advance, for your response.

2. Sara says:

I made this last night and am eating it now as my afternoon snack. I'm pregnant and have been craving chocolate like crazy, but trying to cut back on sugar at the same time. This is perfect and SO delicious! Thank you!

3. Anonymous says:

This looks so good, is this a dessert or a meal?
    345calories for 1/8 of the pie, correct?
    Why is agave added, when the dates are sweet, already?
    Trying to figure this all out?
    If eating raw, how many calories a day?
    how many carbohydrate grams a day?
    how many protein grams a day?
    how many fat grams a day?
    Can a type two diabetic eat raw and stay in normal range and be full?
    Thanks You

• Anonymous says:

please notify me at geminisue44057@yahoo.com, so I know what the answer is, thanks

• Lisa Viger says:

Hi,

This can be a dessert or a meal. I love having pie for breakfast! Yes, it's 345 calories for 1/8 th of the pie. I probably add too much sweetener … the agave could be easily omitted.

I eat about 1200 calories a day, myself. But I seem to have the metabolism of a sloth. Everyone's caloric needs are going to be different.

I can't give medical advice, you really need to get that from your dr. But much love and good health on your raw food journey!!

4. Mr. W. says:

The crust-mix doesn't become sticky, it stays dry and crumbly after processing it with an S-blade. What might be the problem?

• Lisa Viger says:

Hi Mr. W, have you picked up some of the mixture and given it a squeeze? A lot of times it will look dry and crumbly but it actually quite sticky once you start working with it. Let me know how it's coming.

5. love this blog. can't believe i haven't found it before tonight.

6. Heather Pace says:

This looks so good Lisa! I find that blended almonds give almost a fluffy texture … do you notice that in this pie?

7. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! My husband is from Louisville, KY and LOVES Chess Pie! He will be so delighted to have this!

8. GG says:

This looks amazing! But I don't particularly like dates. Could you recommend any substitutions?

9. Ethan Haber says:

Enjoying the best flavors is what everyone wants and if that flavor comes by the self-made dish then the joy of having it increases like anything. Very delicious recipe shared. Lets have some more.

Delicious Desert Recipes

10. Anne says:

Sounds really good!

I'm a total novice regarding raw food – does "soaked" mean to leave them in water for a time (and in that case – how long?) or something else? 🙂

• Unknown says:

Dried dates can be very hard- pour hot not boiling water iver them for about a half hour, drain water (or keep as a natural liquid sweetener for oatmeal!) and the dates will be softer and more plump so they blend more easily!
      Hope this helps you!
      Ttrockwood@yahoo.com

11. Liquid Stevia or Date Juice (remaining water from soaked dates).

12. Anonymous says:

What is a good substitute for the agave nectar? My partner is allergic.

13. Colette Jo says:

Awesome! Will def give this a try! But I'm confused. Your directions mentioned both a spring form pan and a pie plate. Which one should be used? I don't have a spring form pan so fingers crossed that a pie plate might work??

14. Parad0x says:

This. Looks. GLORIOUS!

God bless my local bulk store, 4$ for a kilo of date and 10$ for 1.35 kg of almonds, because I get a feeling I'll be making this often!

15. I love that movie. This pie looks super decadent and delicious. Glad to see there's no "secret ingredient" in it either!