- 2 cup nuts, soaked overnight ($9.90)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice ($.50)
- 1 teaspoon probiotic powder (or a few capsules, opened) ($1.50)
- dried or fresh herbs for rolling
blender, add together all the cheese ingredients except for the probiotics and dried herbs. Add more water if necessary for blending.
- Puree for several minutes until
as smooth and creamy as possible.
- Stir in probiotic powder.
- Pour into a jar or other glass
container and cover with cheese cloth.
- Let sit for about 24 hours at room temperature to develop a cheese flavor. As it sits, the nut “cream” will also
thicken up, making it easier to handle.
- Once the flavor has developed to your liking (taste test every so often), divide in three equal
portions and form into circles.
- Wrap each in the cheese cloth and place
them in a colander with a weight or weighted plate on top. Put the
colander in a sink or over a plate or bowl to catch any drips. A lot of
the liquid will be pressed out of the cheese this way.
- Let it press for
This doesn’t get gooey and it will be the consistency of firm cream cheese. Further pressing can make it a bit more firm.
When it has the desired consistency, remove from the cheese cloth, shape
into a wheel and roll in dried or minced fresh herbs (optional).
For a harder rind on your cheese, place entire cheese wheel into dehydrator for several hours.
- calories: 180 fat: 17 gr carbs: 5 gr protein: 5 gr
*edited to add soaking nuts to directions and decrease water from 1 1/2 to 1 cup.